Select’s editorial team works independently to review financial products and write articles that we think our readers will find useful. We earn commission from affiliate partners on many offers, but not all offers on Select are from affiliate partners.
Conditions apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
From September 22, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card changes its annual credit of up to $300 on the Marriott hotel statement to a dining credit that can be redeemed at any eligible restaurant worldwide. However, there is still time to take advantage of both credits.
Below, Select outlines the new benefit and what to keep in mind when earning rewards on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card.
Subscribe to the Select newsletter!
Our top picks delivered to your inbox. Shopping recommendations that help you improve your life, delivered weekly. register here.
The new dining credit will reimburse cardholders up to $300 per year for their expenses at eligible restaurants around the world. However, you will only be reimbursed up to $25 per month for 12 months.
While the card has an annual fee of $450; see rates and feesthis credit can easily help you recover two-thirds of the costs.
However, here is the kicker:
You can apply for the card now and continue to use Marriott Bonvoy’s $300 hotel credit and also receive the $300 annual restaurant credit starting September 22. For example, let’s say you apply for the card today and have an upcoming trip to a Marriott. hotel in August. You can use the full $300 hotel credit, then once September 22 rolls around, you can start using the $25/month dining credits.
If you take full advantage of both benefits, you can get up to $600 in credits in the first year of card membership. This also does not include the current welcome offer of 75,000 points which you can earn after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of membership in the card.
On the secure site of American Express
6X the Marriott Bonvoy points for every dollar spent on qualifying purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program, 3X the points at US restaurants and on flights booked directly with the airlines, 2X the points on all other qualifying purchases
75,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after using your new card to make $3,000 in card purchases in the first 3 months.
Balance Transfer Fee
Foreign transaction fees
Benefits of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card
While meal credit is great value for many consumers, the card also comes with a solid list of features for all kinds of travelers.
First, when you’re approved for the card, you’ll have the chance to earn a valuable welcome bonus of 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. For ongoing expenses, the card earns points at the following rate:
- 6X points per dollar spent at Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 3X points per dollar spent at US restaurants and flights booked directly with airlines
- 2X points per dollar spent on all other qualifying purchases
The card comes with a number of benefits for travellers:
- One free night each year, up to 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
- Starting September 22, 2022, earn up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for qualifying purchases at restaurants worldwide
- $100 Marriott Property Credit when you book direct using a special rate for a minimum two-night stay at The Ritz-Carlton® or St Regis®.
- 15 elite night credits to earn higher Marriott Bonvoy elite status
- Complimentary Priority Pass Select membership which grants access to over 1,300 airport lounges
- $100 credit for TSA PreCheck/Global Entry registration
- * Rental car insurance
- *Travel insurance
- * Purchase and return protection
Overall, this card offers great benefits for travelers who enjoy staying at Marriott properties, even if they only stay a few times a year.
As you earn Marriott Bonvoy points, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you maximize your credit card rewards:
- Dynamic Rewards Table: Marriott recently moved away from a fixed rewards chart, which means hotels have a fixed price when redeeming rewards for points. Now, hotels can adjust the number of points hotel guests will need to book a free room based on demand. This means that it can be difficult to estimate the cost of travel when using your points.
- Transfer points to airlines: If you’re a few thousand miles short of booking a flight using airline miles, you can dip into your Marriott Bonvoy balance and convert your hotel points into rewards for your favorite airline’s loyalty program. For example, if you are 5,000 miles short for a flight using Delta SkyMiles, you can use 15,000 Marriott Bonvoy points and convert them to Delta SkyMiles. However, the transfer rate isn’t always great value for your Marriott points, but you can earn 5,000 bonus airline miles for every 60,000 Marriott points you transfer to an airline program. You can find all the programs of the participating airlines here.
- Consider partnering with a transferable rewards credit card: Even if you regularly use your Marriott Bonvoy points, it can be worth earning rewards that can be transferred to other programs with Marriott. For example, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card earns Chase Ultimate Rewards® points that can be transferred to a number of airline and hotel loyalty programs, including Marriott. So, in the event that you need rewards for booking with an airline or other hotel brand, you have the option to do so.
For Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express® Card rates and fees, click here.
*Level of eligibility and benefits vary by card. Terms, conditions and limitations apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for details. Underwritten by AMEX insurance company. Rental car loss or damage coverage is provided by American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
Editorial note: Any opinions, analyses, criticisms or recommendations expressed in this article are those of Select’s editorial staff only and have not been reviewed, endorsed or otherwise endorsed by any third party.